Human Trafficking Resources
The Samaritan Women offers these resources to encourage you to use YOUR VOICE to advocate against sexual exploitation. This is a national problem, and it will take each of us doing our part in our own communities to raise awareness and solicit change. We invite you to use these resources as a way to take your next step in learning more about this issue.
Whether you are interested in learning more about human trafficking yourself, or you would like to sponsor an event to help educate others, these resources are provided to assist you. We encourage you to use these resources to begin the education process through an organized event in your community.
Trafficking in America – A Learning Forum for the Medical Community
This presentation was given to medical professionals in Kentucky as part of an educational evening that focused on identification of trafficking victims. Most trafficking victims will encounter a medical professional at some point in their years of exploitation, and medical professionals must be on the lookout for the warning signs. While this presentation is focused primarily toward the medical professional, it contains a great deal of information about trafficking victims in general.
If you are interested in having a medical focused presentation in your area, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Introduction to Human Trafficking Presentation
We prepared this presentation for Rotary International as a training tool for their club membership, but we offer this video for use within your circles of influence. Please consider scheduling a showing of this training video and request the accompanying speaker advocate instructions to help guide your presentation. We would love to encourage you through this process and will contact you when you request the speaker advocate instructions.
If you’d like to present this information in your community, please request our accompanying Advocate Speaker Instructions
Request Advocate Speaker Instructions
If you want to go deeper into your understanding about human trafficking, we invite you to register for our Advocate Training. (POSTPONED)
Ways to Engage
- Read and pray through Psalm 10
- Download a prayer guide: https://aheartforjustice.com/resources/prayer-guides/
- Pray for human trafficking victims: https://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/prayers_reflections/prayer-for-victims-of-human-trafficking/
- “PAID FOR” – a memoir by Rachel Moran, survivor of sexual exploitation and prostitution in Ireland. This is one of the best survivor memoirs available.
- “Half the Sky”– book by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn about violence against women worldwide
- “A Path Appears”– follow up by Kristof and WuDunn on specific initiatives that are addressing the challenges presented in Half the Sky.
- “The Soul of Shame”– by Curt Thompson deals with an emotional stronghold of shame that is prevalent in trafficking victims.
- “Mending the Soul”– by Steven Tracey, this book confronts the reality of sexual abuse in the church and what we need to be doing about it.
Documentaries and Films:
- “Sex Trafficking in America” – Frontline uncovers the unimaginable stories of young women coerced into prostitution, right here in America
- “In Plain Sight: Stories of Hope and Freedom” – documentary of shelter homes in America, including The Samaritan Women
- “I am Jane Doe” – chronicles the epic battle that American mothers waged on behalf of their middle-school daughters, victims of sex-trafficking on Backpage.com. The voices of these mothers and their children, amplified by I AM JANE DOE, has helped to catalyze SESTA FOSTA legislation which recently passed overwhelming and was signed into law on April 11, 2018. iamjanedoefilm.com/the-film/
- “Very Young Girls” – this 6-part series from GEMS in NY offers more of an insider perspective on sex trafficking in America. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8fCbPUNJ8
- “The Making of a Girl”– a short documentary that offers a first-person perspective on a trafficked girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvnRYte3PAk
- “Sex+Money”– a documentary on sex trafficking in America and the interrelated issues.
- “Nefarious” – documentary about sex trafficking worldwide, with Christian redemption message.
- “Flesh” – documentary that profiles two survivors.
- “Human Trafficking”– Lifetime movie with Donald Sutherland and Mira Sorvino – effective in giving a broad rendering of international trafficking.
- “Trust” – film with Clive Davis about online predators and how easily a child can be deceived.
- “The Life Story” – an interactive site offering insight on the life of an exploited person. https://thelifestory.org/
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office on Trafficking in Persons: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/otip
- Dept. of Homeland Security’s Blue Campaign: https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
- Polaris: Check out the Human Trafficking Hotline stats reported for your state: https://polarisproject.org/2017statistics
TSW Research Library:
- Listen to podcasts and videos from our research: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/research-library/
- Listen to speaker presentations from the Christian Abolitionists Symposium: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/christian-abolitionists/
- Take the slavery footprint test: slaveryfootprint.org
- Shop fair trade: https://www.fairtradecertified.org/products/shopping-guides
- Download the Free2Work app to promote slave-conscious shopping www.free2work.org
- Schedule a showing of “Introduction to Human Trafficking” video with accompanying instructions
- Sponsor a Human Trafficking Awareness Training. Request a speaker: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/request-a-speaker/
- Sign up for TSW Advocate training: https://forms.donorsnap.com/form?id=a39ad34d-1e00-4bdf-9df6-c0cdfe6e3aea
- Teach the signs of trafficking to youth through this interactive game: www.lifeboat-act.com/#home
Teach your children about safe online surfing through this age appropriate interactive game: https://sos.fbi.gov/en/
Additionally, explore resources for addressing Pornography, one of the many social factors contributing to demand and exploitation.
Give, Learn, Pray, Engage
If you want your heart to grow closer to this issue of domestic sex trafficking, the best place to start is by investing your time, talent, and treasure.
We recommend this resource to find out how you are best suited to join the movement and make the greatest impact according to God’s call.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.