Human Trafficking Resources
The Samaritan Women offers these resources to encourage you to use YOUR VOICE in the fight against Modern Day Slavery. This is a national problem, and it will take each of us doing our part in our own communities to raise awareness and solicit change. We invite you to use these resources as a way to take your next step in learning more about this issue.
Whether you are interested in learning more about human trafficking yourself, or you would like to sponsor an event to help educate others, these resources are provided to assist you. We encourage you to use these resources to begin the education process through an organized event in your community.
Introduction to Human Trafficking Presentation
We prepared this presentation for Rotary International as a training tool for their club membership, but we offer this video for use within your circles of influence. Please consider scheduling a showing of this training video and request the accompanying speaker advocate instructions to help guide your presentation. We would love to encourage you through this process and will contact you when you request the speaker advocate instructions.
If you’d like to present this information in your community, please request our accompanying Advocate Speaker Instructions
Request Advocate Speaker Instructions
If you want to go deeper into your understanding about human trafficking, we invite you to register for our Advocate Training.
This neatly packaged handout contains an 11-card series that works as a instructional tool and includes specific prayers and action steps for Prevention, Intervention and Restoration.
You can be an example of positive cultural change in your community by fostering open conversations, increased accountability, and becoming a safe place for the hurt, broken, and healing. Find out more about battling pornography addiction, creating safe places to discuss difficult topics, and talking to your children about internet safety and safe boundaries through some of our recommended reads, media, and affiliated prevention organizations.
While not everyone is called to intervene in the dangerous situations that trafficking victims find themselves in, we’re all in a position to support those who are – by supporting your local law enforcements’ efforts to identify and locate trafficking victims, as well as advocating for victims to receive the help they need.
While victims of sex trafficking may finally become free of their traffickers, it can take years to restore the identity that was stolen from them. Restoration is the heartbeat of TSW, and we hope it’s yours, too. See how you can support restorative efforts in your community and contribute to the work of the Institute for Shelter Care to make sure that every survivor has access to long-term restorative care.
- Read and pray through Psalm 10
- Download a prayer guide: https://aheartforjustice.com/resources/prayer-guides/
- Pray for human trafficking victims: https://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/prayers_reflections/prayer-for-victims-of-human-trafficking/
- Read“PAID FOR” – a memoir by Rachel Moran, survivor of sexual exploitation and prostitution in Ireland. This is one of the best survivor memoirs available.
- Watch “Sex+Money”– a documentary on sex trafficking in America and the interrelated issues.
- “Very Young Girls” – this 6-part series from GEMS in NY offers more of an insider perspective on sex trafficking in America. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8fCbPUNJ8
- “The Making of a Girl”– a short documentary that offers a first-person perspective on a trafficked girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvnRYte3PAk
- “Human Trafficking”– Lifetime movie with Donald Sutherland and Mira Sorvino – effective in giving a broad rendering of international trafficking.
- “Nefarious” – documentary about sex trafficking worldwide, with Christian redemption message.
- “Half the Sky”– book by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn about violence against women worldwide
- “A Path Appears”– follow up by Kristof and WuDunn on specific initiatives that are addressing the challenges presented in Half the Sky.
- “Mending the Soul”– by Steven Tracey, this book confronts the reality of sexual abuse in the church and what we need to be doing about it.
- “The Life Story” – an interactive site offering insight on the life of an exploited person. https://thelifestory.org/
- “Trust” – film with Clive Davis about online predators and how easily a child can be deceived.
- “IN PLAIN SIGHT” – documentary of shelter homes in America, including The Samaritan Women
- I AM JANE DOE chronicles the epic battle that American mothers waged on behalf of their middle-school daughters, victims of sex-trafficking on Backpage.com. The voices of these mothers and their children, amplified by I AM JANE DOE, has helped to catalyze SESTA FOSTA legislation which recently passed overwhelming and was signed into law on April 11, 2018. iamjanedoefilm.com/the-film/
- “Flesh” – documentary that profiles two survivors.
- “The Soul of Shame”– by Curt Thompson deals with an emotional stronghold of shame that is prevalent in trafficking victims.
- Listen to speaker presentations from the Christian Abolitionists Symposium: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/christian-abolitionists/
- Check out our research library: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/research-library/
- Listen to podcasts and videos from our research library: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/research-library/
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office on Trafficking in Persons: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/otip
- Learn more about the Dept. of Homeland Security’s Blue Campaign: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/otip
- Check out the human trafficking hotline stats reported for your state: https://polarisproject.org/2017statistics
- Take the slavery footprint test: slaveryfootprint.org
- Purchase TSW biscotti and support the vocational training of a survivor: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/tsw-bakery
- Shop fair trade: https://www.fairtradecertified.org/products/shopping-guides
- Download the Free2Work app to promote slave-conscious shopping www.free2work.org
- Donate to support restorative care of survivors: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/ways-to-give/
- Contact your local trafficking shelter and ask what in-kind goods you could collect for them.
- Host a fundraiser in lieu of birthday or wedding gifts. Email us for more fundraising ideas and support at email@example.com.
- Sign up to volunteer at TSW this summer: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/volunteer/
- Volunteer at your local trafficking shelter
- Apply for an internship at a Human Trafficking Shelter: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/apply-for-internship/
- Schedule a showing of “Introduction to Human Trafficking” video with accompanying instructions
- Sponsor a Human Trafficking Awareness Training. Request a speaker: https://instituteforsheltercare.org/request-a-speaker/
- Sign up for TSW Advocate training: https://forms.donorsnap.com/form?id=a39ad34d-1e00-4bdf-9df6-c0cdfe6e3aea
- Teach the signs of trafficking to youth through this interactive game: www.lifeboat-act.com/#home
- Put the National Human Trafficking Resource Center number in your phone: 888.373.7888
- Download the Redlight Traffic app to report suspected human trafficking: https://secure.wesleyan.org/4821/redlight-traffic-app
- Purchase copies of our Empowerment Card Packs by emailing Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org and hand them out to your colleagues and friends
- Upload photos of hotel rooms to help identify sex trafficking: https://traffickcam.com/
Order Empowerment Packs
Share this neatly packaged handout containing an 11-card series that works as a instructional tool and includes specific prayers and action steps.
If you would like to order Empowerment Packs for your event or group, please contact Rachel at email@example.com. Packs are $2 each. Allow up to ten days for processing.
Give, Learn, Pray, Engage
If you want your heart to grow closer to this issue of domestic sex trafficking, the best place to start is by investing your time, talent, and treasure.
We recommend this resource to find out how you are best suited to join the movement and make the greatest impact according to God’s call.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.