- Have you been called to start a non-profit?
- Are you ready to pour your passion into building a heartfelt vision, but remain a bit shaky as to what the first steps should be?
- Maybe you’ve already created a non-profit, but are now left feeling overwhelmed by the mounting pressure and your growing to-do list?
- Or maybe your existing non-profit was launched with great intentions, but has been struggling to capture its full potential because the fundamental foundation of success was never developed?
“Over time, as a Director, you can get worn down and hit some bumps in the road. After taking Ministry Fundamentals, I now feel stronger. I have a great foundation to build on. My mentor has inspired me.”
– Karen Aroh, Maya Collection
If any of the above scenarios resonate with you, Ministry Fundamentals may be the answer.
Non-profits are typically born deep within the heart and soul of those with a vision to impact change. However, all too often, these well-intentioned efforts struggle to take flight, and/or never reach their true potential because the organization lacks the practical experience and knowledge to implement the needed operational structure and processes.
Ministry Fundamentals, a project of the Institute for Shelter Care, was created to give non-profit Founders and Executive Directors the skills and confidence they need to implement the fundamental building blocks of a strong organization. The program is designed to develop structure around important topics such as recruiting a diverse board of directors, establishing and maintaining an annual budget, creating a functional fundraising action plan, mitigating risk, hiring staff, and managing a team.
Each organization will be matched with a mentor that will walk beside them throughout the program. The mentors will have experience in non-profit work or board experience that will be another invaluable learning tool to the organization. The mentor will serve as a sounding board and source of encouragement as participants begin to apply their newly acquired skills to the non-profit.
Guided Independent Study
Participants of Ministry Fundamentals will gain deep knowledge and understanding on the following topics as well as many more that are vital to all fruitful non-profits. Most learning paths include digital, customizable templates allowing participants to build and apply this material directly to the action plan for their organization.
- Evaluate Your Calling
- Your Role as Executive Director
- Understanding Personalities and Motivations
- Volunteer Development
- Religious Character
- Spiritual Disciplines
- Strategic Planning
- Risk Management
- HR Basics
- Safety and Security
- Legal Protections
- Contingency Planning
- Goals and Metrics
- Church Engagement
- Communication Strategies
- Cross-Cultural Relationships
ROUND TABLE DISCUSSIONS
Each month, participants will join an instructor-led round table discussion to gain a deeper understanding of the essential foundation needed for running a successful non-profit. Topics discussed will include:
- Clearly defining the Mission, Vision, and Values of the organization.
- Recruiting, training, and engaging dynamic board members.
- Creating a budget that is financially sound and will convey confidence to current and potential donors.
- Cultivating financial support and defining a fundraising strategy.
- Developing the essential legal documents needed for faith-based organizations.
- The time commitment for the program is 4-8 hours a month of independent on-line learning, webinars, self-guided study, homework and/or virtual meetings. Most participants can complete the program in 12 months.
- The financial investment to participate in the program is $325 per month for a 12-month commitment. This amount covers the entire curriculum, including resources.
The Institute for Shelter Care welcomes individuals with business acumen to join this ministry. If you are interested in being a mentor or instructor, contact Paula Harper.